By Absolutely Filipino
“LIVE WITH NO EXCUSES AND TRAVEL WITH NO REGRETS”–Unknown
In a place where a fast-paced culture exists, it is a must to recharge and relax once in a while. It is always good to be away from the city and its tiring vibes whenever there is an opportunity for you to unwind. As you know, there are four seasons in Canada and each season has its many perks and advantages and it is up to us how we can enjoy all its benefits.
But summertime is the most favourite and popular among everyone. It allows us to relax on the beach or even the lake. It is also the best time to go on a camping trip. Water activities can be enjoyed by everyone as well as hiking and forest baths. There are a plethora of summer activities in Canada, and here at Absolutely Filipino Magazine, we are trying to do it one at a time, on our own convenient time.
It is a small city located on the southern part of the Okanagan Valley. It is surrounded by rocky mountains with few trees on it, a four-hour drive from the city of Vancouver. The long-drive was delightful and fun, we were able to see different cities surrounded by hills, mountains, and valleys as well as river. Most of the cities we passed by were smaller, and we have noticed a lot of animals and produce farms throughout the Okanagan Valley.
What to do in Penticton
- Lazy River. Your Penticton experience is never complete unless you tried the lazy river adventure.
- Beaches. Penticton has two main lakes, the Okanagan Lake and the Skaha Lake. We chose to visit Okanagan Lake beach. We also visited Maranata Beach, another hidden gem in the area.
- Winery Tour and Wine Tasting. Okanagan Valley is famous for its winery, and surely we don’t have regrets of visiting the Maranata Bench in Penticton. They have many wineries and vineyards that you can go to within its vicinity. You can do wine tasting and also enjoy the beautiful and picturesque view of Okanagan Lake at the same time. Most of the wineries serve meals at their restaurant, so you can have lunch and dinner at your own convenience while admiring the astonishing and majestic lake view. Due to the limited time that we have, we only managed to visit1775 Bench Winery.
- Sleep in. Aside from exploring and discovering places, culture, people and food, a vacation also gives us the chance to have extra rest by waking up late during day time, allowing us to regain our strengths. Sleeping in during vacation can boost your energy and rejuvenate our well-being. So take your time, no rush, no pressure. You have all the time in the world. And that’s what a vacation is all about.
- Brunch. After sleeping in, you can now go on to a brunch with your family. Some local restaurants in Penticton are serving all-day breakfast or a combination of breakfast and lunch. It is always up to you to decide which restaurant you want to visit. Since we were so hungry, we chose the nearest restaurant from our accommodation.
- Check out the local pub. If in the middle of the night, you suddenly crave for comfort food like calamari or chicken wings, why don’t you pay a visit to the local pub? In there, you can also try their local beers, something that they brewed themselves.
- Camping. In Penticton, there many camping sites where you can choose from. Whether you have an RV or tent, the sky is the limit. According to yelp, there are 23 camping sites in the surrounding areas of Penticton. In the future, we would like to try camping in one of those camping sites, too.
- Fruit Picking. Within the many communities and towns nearby, there are many fruit picking opportunities for you and your family. In our case, we don’t have so much time to do this so we ended up buying fresh cherries in the small town of Keremeos when we were on our way back home to Vancouver.
Our short trip was only four days, and we tried harder to make the best of it. As usual, planning is pertinent to have a perfect summer getaway. The backup plan works well, too. Penticton is a perfect destination if you are looking for a new adventure. They have gorgeous scenery and plenty of land and water activities.
We can’t wait to share with you more of our future summer escapades. Watch out for our upcoming travel stories and reviews.